Sunday, June 24, 2007

Our Popiah Party


So far we had two popiah sessions: Last Sunday we celebrated our daughter's birthday with mama's homecooked popiah. I cooked one big pot and freezed half of it.Last night we had another happy popiah dinner with our in-laws and their family.

It is very unusual for in-laws to be able to get together, to communicate well, to sit around dinning table enjoying sumptuous meals. Also we get along well with my daughter-in-law's siblings. This is also the same with my son-in-law's family. I enjoy our gatherings and treasure every moment. When I was down with flu, my son-in-law's brother sms me asking about my condition. On father's day, the brother of our daughter-in-law sms my husband to wish him happy father's day. Thank God, how well blessed we are!

Hokkien popiah is very much different from the local popiah. I use 10 ingredients: Beancurd, belly pork, cabbage, carrot, Chinese mushroom, leek,bamboo,small prawn, "bang kwan", french bean. It took me the whole morning finely cut all the ingredients. Oh, how I wish I had a good chef knife!

To my surprise, my son-in-law presented me with a nice sharp chef knife the next day. I was touched by this little action. Of course in return I gave him a small hong bao (red packet) becasue it is not wise to accept knife from others.

Now I realize that family members are there for you. Friends come and go and true friends are hard to come by. If you do have some good friends, hold on to them and treasure their true friendship. "人间有二险,江河险,人心更险;天下有两薄,春水薄,人情更薄" (In life there are two danger factors, deep seas and rivers are danger spots, human hearts and thoughts are more dangerous. Spring water is clean and clear and transparent, friendship can be selfish, shallow and superficial.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Auntie Doris,
Thanks for sharing your wonderful blogs.
We had a wonderful dinner at your place. The emmm.... delicious Popiah. Thanks for all that you have prepared for us. I love the Ginger tea too. Too bad, Alex missed it.

Also, Trinity would like to say thank you for preparing the beef soup. She loves it. Thumb up for "PoPo". Will i have somemore next time? :) Love, Trinity